Friday, March 21, 2014

Homemade Tortillas...Ole'!

     Last night I went a little nuts in the kitchen and not only made a new Mexican cabbage slaw, I tackled flour tortillas from scratch.  And they turned out great!  I thought to myself, you're getting pretty good with these kitchen experiments, maybe you should start a blog.  But, duh, I have a blog. 

     My husband loved these.  In fact, he loved the whole simple meal.  And he's really picky.  This morning he confessed to eating two tortillas after I went to bed, one with butter and one with peanut butter.  I consider that a success!  I thought the tortillas were a little dry, so I will experiment with a little more oil next time.  But, like I said, he loved them!

     My first tortillas from scratch: 





I borrowed this recipe from food blogger extraordinaire, Tasty Kitchen. (http://tastykitchen.com/blog/)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups Organic, Unbleached Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ⅓ cups Canola Oil
  • 1 cup Hot Water

Preparation Instructions

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk. Add the canola oil and mix with your fingers until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add 1 cup of hot water and mix until a ball is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes. (I have also refrigerated it overnight).
Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface. Brush off excess flour. Cook on a hot, ungreased griddle over medium-high heat. Turn the tortilla when brown blisters form on the first side. Stack the tortillas and serve warm.

For the meal, I fixed a couple things for inside the tortillas.  I poached a couple of chicken thighs for my husband, in the crockpot.  (I don't eat meat.)  I added a half teaspoon each, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder to the water.  When they were tender, I just removed the bones and shredded the meat with my fingers.  For moisture, freshness, and "pop," as they say, I made some Mexican slaw.  I used a recipe to give me ideas, but I didn't have the right ingredients.  My slaw was just shredded green cabbage, frozen corn (thawed), 1/4 teas. minced Serrano pepper, diced snap peas, a handful of canned diced tomatoes, and thinly sliced green onions.  For the dressing, I had to use a lemon for juice, instead of limes, olive oil, salt and pepper. This is where I found the recipe I used for ideas:  http://www.grouprecipes.com/130744/mexican-cabbage-salad---ensalada-de-repollo.html

My Mexican Slaw:


So, I took warm tortillas, (made from scratch!) and filled them with seasoned chicken and the Mexican Slaw,  I put a little shredded cheddar cheese, too,  Next time, I would like to add a creamy avocado sauce.  Oh my, my, my.  I'm getting hungry again.  But, back to last night.  By the time I realized this meal was a big success, it was too late to capture it in a photo.  This will have to do. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment